Tuesday, July 7, 2015

4th of July

I hate to admit it but I'm normally a dud when it comes to small holidays.   Even on the big ones I procrastinate so long that I run out of time for crafts and decorating.

This year was different. I got into the patriotic spirit early enough to go to Hobby Lobby for supplies, pick up some 4th of July books, make crafts, and invite friends over for dinner.

First we made t-shirts. It was so much fun and I really hope this can become a tradition.  I even found an iron-on anchor so baby could be a part of the fun.


Then we decorated a bucket to collect candy in at the parade.  Joshua really got into it and made sure there was a star for each member of our family.  The small star inside the big star was for anchor (the baby in mommy's belly).... made my mommy heart melt.



Next we learned about patterns by creating this firework hat. Joshua LOVED making it but didn't want to wear it at the parade.


Finally we read our Fourth of July books: Corduroy's 4th of July; The Berenstain Bears God Bless Our Country; and The Night Before the Fourth of July.  I'm so blessed to have little ones who enjoy reading... it's a passion of mine and I love sharing it with them.



On Saturday morning, we woke up bright and early to get ready for the parade. The Denton Parade has been a tradition since before we had kids!! Unfortunately, I have no family pictures... oh well, live and learn! 

2013 (I was pregnant with Maverick)

2014 (at Fuzzy's before parade)
2014
We put on our shirts, stuck on our temporary tattoos and loaded up in the Merriman's van.  First (and most important) stop: DONUTS!!


At the parade, the boys wanted a "bucket head" photo. We told them to line up and this is what we got:


REDO... sort of!! 


Maverick loved watching from high up on daddy's shoulders.




The boys LOVED seeing the fire trucks, old cars, tractors, horses, and police men.  They ran and played on the lawn and just had fun being boys. I finally got my family photo! Hopefully there will be many more to come!





We headed home for lunch and naps and daddy surprised us with a swimming pool! Perfect timing! The Merriman's came over around 4 and Joshua and Jackson swam constantly from then on. We grilled shish kabobs, had corn salad, watermelon, and a yummy 4th of July dessert.  Doug and Melissa DOMINATED our game of Phase 10 but it was still a lot of fun.  It's so refreshing to spend time with good friends, good food, good conversation... it's just so easy hanging out with them! And an added bonus is that our boys get along so well. 

This is one fourth of July that's going in the books as an awesome fun-filled day of memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment