Tuesday, January 17, 2017

lifestyle change

The week before Christmas I had a crazy GI bug that left me wishing I would just die.  I couldn't eat anything, I was constantly nauseous, and my numerous trips to the bathroom could not be counted.

In the midst of it all, I promised the Lord if He saw me through it I would make a lifestyle change.

Not some crazy, fad diet.  Not a cleanse.  Not a 21 day habit-changing-fix.

But a transforming, healthy, lifestyle change.

And He did. Hallelujah!

But let's back up a little... in December, my friend Chrissy gave me a code to try Camp Gladiator for free during the month of January.  I was lucky blessed to find an indoor location, because me + 32 degree weather don't go together.  The first day of camp, a huge storm was moving through with the possibility of hail!  I had knots in my stomach and did not sleep at all the night before.  But I made it that first day and the rest is history! I fell completely in love!

My trainer is adorable, 37 weeks pregnant and rocking her body!  I'm held accountable to get up and go every time (right now, on MWF at 6:10am).  The other campers are constantly high-fiving me and encouraging me to do better.  I actually get to talk to people out loud, instead of just in my head, like I've been doing at the gym.  It's pulled me out of my comfort zone and challenged me to do better. It feels like PE for adults, which is interesting because I HATED PE when I was younger.  I was so self-conscious and always fearful of being left out.  Now I find myself being more competitive... not willing to come in last, to finish the exercises before the timer, to increase my weights a little more.

This last week, my trainer has mentioned that the way we look is only 20% of our workout!  Say what?!? That means 80% is what I'm eating.  And while it could be much, much worse... it needs to be a whole lot better!

Since my GI bug, I've been praying and asking the Lord to show me what He wants this lifestyle change to look like.  What needs to be cut out?  What needs to be added in?  What are the portions I need?  How many times a day should I eat?  When/how much can I splurge?  I don't want food to control me, as it has in the past when I've tried to diet and count calories.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says:
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."
I want that idea, my body as a temple for the Holy Spirit, to be at the forefront of my mind every day.  Not a number on the scale, or a certain size of clothes, or even a body measurement.  I'm sure all of that will follow in time, but I don't want it to be my goal.  I just want to be conscious of what I'm eating and how I'm taking care of my temple.

So here's what I feel like He's been saying to me:

  1. increase water intake to 72oz per day
  2. breakfast - 2 eggs or protein shake, fruit
  3. lunch - protein (lunchmeat, chicken, tuna), veggies/salad, fruit (maybe add cheese, depending on dinner)
  4. snack - nuts or greek yogurt
  5. dinner - smaller portions of meals I'm already preparing for family; add more vegetables and limit carbs
  6. two desserts per week
  7. Starbucks once a week 
  8. alcohol 2x per week (1 glass of wine or 1 margarita)
  9. splurge one day a week (within moderation)
  10. exercise: CG 3-4x per week; lift heavy (body pump or at gym) 1-2x per week
  11. supplements - MultiGreens, NingXia Redgrapefruit, fish oil, vitamin C and D, probiotic
  12. progessence 2x/day- to help my cycle
The "old me" would have succeeded at this for maybe a week... if that!  But I am no longer "putting off" the things He has put on my heart.  I read yesterday in my quiet time that my spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak (Matthew 26:41).  While I don't want my sinful flesh to rule, I want my flesh to be strengthened to do what He's called me to do... even when it's not easy or it doesn't taste good. 

Lord, please help me to keep my body as a temple for Your Holy Spirit. May I take every thought (for junk food or laziness) captive to obey You and what You've called me to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment