Wednesday, January 4, 2017

happy new year!

TOP 10 from 2016:

1. September beach trip (the one in May was, unfortunately, not so memorable)

2. camping in Broken Bow

3. buying "little piece of paradise" - an oh the fun we've had already!


showing the cousins
breakfast tacos to christen the land! 
playing on the bulldozer while daddy works

4. our 11th anniversary adventure

5. state fair with Crowells - here are some highlights




ready to watch the parade

6. Christmas in Austin


7. Allen's Holiday Soiree "afterparty: - where Kenny and I got caught having a little too much fun in the car afterwards. It's definitely something I can look back on and laugh about. But in the moment, I was completely humiliated!!  The party was so much fun and it was pretty cool being "the contractor's wife!" I felt like a movie star.

8. Arrow's Academy began - it's been a dream of mine for so long!! We are still working out the kinks, but I'm so thankful I'm able to homeschool our boys.  They are pretty excited about it too... just look at their faces upon receiving their school for next year!




9. Fossil Rim





10. field trips and fellowship with great friends - We've been blessed to go on so many great field trips with our homeschool group.  I love the weather in Texas is nice 90% of the time.  There is so much to do year round!
And there have been countless late nights at our house playing games with friends, listening to music in the park, grilling/cooking, and enjoying each other's company. Our hearts (and tummies) are very full!
trolley in Downtown Dallas
Highland Park Soda Fountain



Heard Museum in McKinney
Irving Symphony Orchestra
Henrietta Creek Apple Orchard
Dallas Zoo
Arbor Hills Nature Preserve
We are also so blessed and grateful for our health and Kenny's great year of business.  We also took a Growing Kids Gods Way class that taught us so much about parenting - structure, discipline, and creating a family that our kids love to be a part of.  I'm beyond grateful for our teachers, Terry and Michelle Holmes, and eager to see the fruit and God's faithfulness as we carry out what we learned.


the not-so-memorable memories:

*I debated listing the worst memories of the year, because who wants to dwell on calamity?  But I realized it's also a way to see the Lord's faithfulness and to remember it's only a season. He is good... all the time!

1. Anchor's two weeks of throwing up daily - grateful for doctors and a new formula that stopped the throw up and FINALLY allowed our little guy to grow!

2. my horrible GI bug - a week before Christmas I got a nasty GI bug. I started out feeling like I had the flu. That went away within 12 hours, but then I felt nauseous and completely lost my appetite. This lasted a week, had me convinced I was pregnant (even though Kenny had a vasectomy over a year ago!), and had me laying on the couch all.day.long.  48 hours after it began, I started diarrhea that lasted three endless days.  It was such a weird stomach bug, and I wonder if it even messed with my hormones. I felt depressed and remember praying that God would spare me!  Looking back I can laugh about it, but I know in the moment I didn't think I'd make it through the day.  Kenny had to watch the boys, cook, clean, and all in the midst of holiday activities. Words cannot express my gratitude to the Lord for seeing us all through this week.

3. Maverick peeing on himself and me storming out of my mom's house - We celebrate Christmas with my mom on New Year's Eve. It was chaotic (as usual) but we were also having some discipline issues with Joshua based on an event that had happened a week before. I was in the playroom talking to Joshua. Maverick need to go to the bathroom. Kenny says he called for me, but I never heard him. Maverick ended up peeing on himself (and his BRAND NEW SHOES)!  I walk *outside* to find him standing in the front yard, and my brother and his girlfriend laughing at him! It infuriated me! I stripped Maverick down, loaded him in the car naked and told Kenny to load the boys up. I was livid and done!  I stormed through the house to gather my things, which I know ruins the mood for everyone. An hour later, after calming down, I realized I completely overreacted and missed out on finishing up Christmas with my family. (Christmas with my dad was spent on the couch with my GI bug... so both were pretty frustrating this year.)  I admitted to my family that I have an anger problem and need to seek help for it. I know it's okay to be angry but I have to learn to control my anger and not let it dictate my actions.  Hopefully there will be victorious posts about this in the future.


I have so many blog posts to catch up on and plan to do so soon.  I'm really hoping 2017 will a turning point for me as a wife and mom.  There's so much I've always wanted to be and do and yet have continually made excuses not to do them. My goals for this year are the EXACT same as last year! And these goals aren't like "climb mount everest," or "start a company and be on Forbes Fortune 500 list within a year."  It's simply to have a daily quiet time, get our school done, maintain a clean/welcoming home, and workout 4-5x per week.  Why are these easy tasks so monumental for me?!?  I feel so lazy and unproductive. I'm seeking the Lord for answers - where is my time being wasted?  How do I manage it better?  What do I prioritize?  My mom had a schedule and stuck to it as much as possible. For a long time, I thought that wouldn't work for our family.  But I'm starting to think otherwise... 

Oh how my prayer is to have a completely different post at the end of this year. I want to write about my success and victory in this area. I read in Joshua 18 today about the Israelites who had not yet claimed the land the Lord had already given to them. Joshua asked "How long will you put off going in to take possession of the land?"  I wonder if God is just as frustrated with me... wondering when I will step up and claim the life of victory His one and only Son died to give me!  Ouch.  

At this point, all I know to do is take it one day at a time.  Lord, help me!  I'm still praying about and seeking confirmation for our family verse. More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment