Sunday, August 14, 2016

adventure

This past weekend, we celebrated our eleventh anniversary!  Last year, I was eight months pregnant with Anchor so we were extremely limited in what we could do.  This year, with three little ones at home, I knew we couldn't go far. But at least I could participate!!

Kenny planned an amazing trip to the Austin/Hill Country area. I'm so proud of him for planning everything. It was one of our best trips yet!

On Thursday, we drove to Austin and checked in at the Omni Barton Creek.


We then headed out for a hike... yes, hike in 100+ degree weather! This is something I typically would have said no to. But I've been so excited for this trip, I was truly up for anything and determined I would keep a positive attitude.

I'm SO thankful I did!

We hiked at the Barton Creek Greenbelt. Most of the hike was shaded, steep, and absolutely gorgeous! Unfortunately, it was dry. This is what we saw:










 This is what it looks like when it's rained:



But the experience was exhilarating! I couldn't believe I was in good enough shape to hike in Texas in the summer. And man, what a creative God we serve!!

Next we drove to Lake Travis to go jet skiing. Many of our summers dating and as newlyweds were spent on the lake.  We fell in love on the lake, had our rehearsal dinner at the lake, and live near the lake. It was such a beautiful reminder of how we spent our time getting to know each other and that we have such similar interests.



We then found a non-chain restaurant that had great reviews. We love trying new, hole-in-the-wall places. It was called The Grove and had a beautiful, gigantic oak tree lit up with Christmas lights! We wanted to sit outside, but it was just too hot. We had yummy bruschetta, pizza, and a flight of cabernet sauvignon wine tasting. With tummy's and heart's full, we headed back to the hotel for a good night's sleep (one thing we don't take for granted anymore).

On the second day, we met some good friends for breakfast. They live in Dallas but happened to be in Austin the same weekend. We then drove to The Blue Hole and Jacob's Well but found out you can only get in with a reservation. While driving around trying to figure out where to go and what to do, we saw a new subdivision being built. Another thing Kenny and I have always enjoyed doing (but rarely time for) is looking at new home construction... especially spur of the moment!  So of course we stopped to look around and found this house, which is pretty similar in size to the one we hope to build.


We also passed at this really cool event venue that shares my maiden name... Thurman's Mansion! Maybe we can renew our vows there one day.


We finally decided to float the Comal River. I've always wanted to do this! It would've been more fun with friends and food, but it was so relaxing and just fun to be with my best friend on the water!






We definitely worked up an appetite and headed to the Gristmill in Gruene for lunch.  They have the best onion rings and burgers!  Next we headed to Hey Cupcake so I could get my favorite late night snack... I got the Michael Jackson! We went back to the hotel and had drinks by the pool.  Our hotel was really family friendly and played a movie at the pool, had a playground, and lots of kids/family activities. I hope to take the boys there someday, and really look forward to showing them a city that means so much to our family.


On Saturday, it was cloudy and we thought it was going to rain so we planned to just shop and take a slow drive home. We ate bagels at Wholy Bagel, another hole-in-the-wall restaurant. Afterwards, we drove to see Kenny's 101 year old grandmother! She suffers from dementia, but I was amazed at how she remembered Kenny. She LOVED seeing pictures of the boys. She has left such a legacy for them.  By the time we finished that, the sun was peeking through the clouds and we knew we'd regret not paddle boarding. So we headed to Lake Austin and had the time of our lives being on the water and trying something new, for both of us! Unfortunately, we left our phones in the car so I have no pictures/proof of this. The lake was calm and peaceful and oh so gorgeous! The trees in Austin are of their own breed... ginormous!! It was so therapeutic... I hope to own a board someday and go often enough that I can actually be good at it!

After paddle boarding, we went to Gueros - a restaurant that we visited often when in Austin for my doctor appointments and surgeries. It was such a different feeling being there without surgery looming over my head. I'm thankful this restaurant finally has good memories for me! We ordered the queso flameado and nachos, and of course margaritas!



By the end of lunch, Kenny was feeling pretty miserable from his allergies so we headed home. I felt so bad that I couldn't help with the drive, but I can't drive a standard... one more reason to learn how!

I was blown away by how God blessed this trip. We never fought and I completely fell head over heels in love with my man all over again.  This incredible man who took me out of my book-reading, nook-loving, rule-following comfort zone and showed me what adventure is! And I love that God has now blessed us with three boys who I know will also show me all about adventure... and I so look forward to adventuring with them!  We have had our rough times, as all couples do, but my steady, deeply rooted man has never lost his faith, always supported me, and always believed in us. I definitely married up!

I love you so incredibly much Mr. Wright. As I told you this weekend, it was so easy saying "yes" to you. Thank you for choosing me to join you on this crazy adventure and showing me how to live life to the fullest!

P.S. And a HUGE thanks to my mom and Kenny's parents for watching the boys. I loved seeing pictures of them having a great time as well. They are getting older and we loved talking to them at night and hearing "I love you!" and "When are you coming home?"  These are words I dreamed of hearing for so long, my heart is so incredibly full! Thank you again and again Lord for this anniversary trip, and the man and children you've so richly blessed me with.

No comments:

Post a Comment