Saturday, August 6, 2016

2016 Olympics!

It's not secret I'm obsessed with the Olympics.  I often hated being in school/working because I couldn't watch them during the day and dreamed of the day when I could do nothing but watch every.single.event.  I even prayed that I would have a newborn around the Olympics so I could nurse and watch them all night long.  My prayers were answered with Maverick and the 2014 winter Olympics in Sochi.

This year, Joshua and I decided to have an Olympics party that I'm hoping will become a tradition.  We made decorations and hosted mini-events for the kids to compete in. It was hot, but so much fun!! I was surprised at how well the kids did even in the heat. They never complained and kept asking for more events!

I'm so sad to say I didn't get very many pictures. It was really difficult to run the games, talk to guests, and try to take pictures too.



We started out with a torch relay. I had the kids take turns running around our back yard with our homemade torch (a flashlight covered with foil and felt flames). Joshua was last to run(since he was the host) and then he held the torch up to our tiki torches to light and signify the opening of the games!

We then did a march of the athletes.  I played the Olympic theme and we paraded around the backyard cheering for team USA! I forgot flags and realized the march was supposed to be before the lighting of the torch. (making mental notes for improvements in the future)  It also would've been fun to have the kids wear colors to represent different countries and all carry different flags.

Then we started the games! We did a sprint, high jump, hurdles, frisbee throw, 3-legged race, tug of war, and a long run.  The kids ages ranged from nine to five, so in the future I may need to divide older/younger kids. I was impressed with the good sportsmanship I saw and their willingness to try new things.

Finally, it was time for the medal ceremony. We played the national anthem and had them put their hands over their hearts.



After the games were over, the kids had fun with water balloons, a kid pool, water hose and trampoline. They played for hours without fighting or complaining... a parent's dream! We ordered pizza and my sweet friend, Megan, brought cookies and an amazing mocha salted caramel cake.




I think we'll have to start a bi-yearly field day and we can make it an Olympics party whenever they're on.

I'm so thankful for the family and friends the Lord has blessed us with. Our hearts are full.

And... go team USA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment