Wednesday, August 3, 2016

BFIAR: The Big Green Pocketbook

The last book we rowed this summer was The Big Green Pocketbook by Candice Ransom. I had never read this book before and thought it was wonderful! I'm very sentimental and this book reminded me of how things were growing up. I'm sad things aren't still like this for my boys. But I know they'll have other memories of childhood.

We did not have any companion books for this row.  Life is just too busy in the summer, there's a reason we have a school year and a break!


I love that as Maverick is getting older, he wants to join us and  do school too. 
After reading this book, the first thing we wanted to do was make our own green pocketbook! I took Joshua to Hobby Lobby and let him pick out some green fabric.  Unfortunately I realized my sewing machine is not accessible right now (and my mother-in-law's recently broke so I couldn't borrow hers).  So plan B was to make one from felt. Thank the Lord for hot glue guns!




Joshua loved putting his things in there... 2 lollipops (one for now and one for later), the bus tickets, etc. At the beginning of the week, he had to use cut out cards. But as the week went on, we found real items!

Our special treat this week was riding the trolley in uptown Dallas.  We went with our cousins and had such a great time!




Next we went to Highland Park Soda Fountain for lunch. My grandmommy brought me here numerous times as a child and it holds so many dear memories for me.  I look forward to being able to share all about how wonderful my grandmommy was with my boys someday. We had grilled cheese and old-fashioned milkshakes! 




he even bought his own box of crayons to keep in his pocketbook
We learned about money and had fun playing this game. Joshua was really good at rolling the dice, looking up what that number meant, and putting the correct coin in the correct spot. He could play games all day... especially with nana!



We also did a science experiment about how blue and yellow make green.  This book is really cute too!




Joshua also enjoyed typing his name (first in big letters, then in small letters) on the laptop.  I wish I had a typewriter to show him.  That's another thing from my grandmommy that I loved playing with.


One of the things I enjoy about Before Five in a Row is that it always ties in Scripture.  This week, we read the parable of the lost coin.  We reviewed it several times with Joshua and still bring it up today when the situation applies.

This row was another one of my favorites... most of them have been so special and I'm loving the memories they are making for our family.  They have provided an extra way for Joshua and I to bond. The times are so sweet and I'll always remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment