Thursday, August 18, 2016

be a light

Oh how my heart hurts for Abbey D'Agostino.  She was running the 5,000 meter qualifier when she was tripped by Nikki Hamblin.  She helped Nikki get up and encouraged her to finish the race.  Later, Abbey found out she had a complete tear of the ACL, a meniscus tear and a strained MCL.  I don't know exactly what that entails, but I know it means she would not run in the final and that she's headed home for surgery and a long recovery.


But I'm so impressed with how she's handled the media since the incident.  When asked what was in her that allowed her to respond the way she did, Abbey said "it's the spirit of God in me."  And in this article, she says "God prepared her heart to respond that way."



I want to teach my boys to be lights.  And what better way to be a light for God than giving Him the glory for the world to see.  Matthew 5:14-15 says:
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp an put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."

Abbey, we are praying for you and your recovery and the plans God has for your future. Thank you for being an inspiration and a beautiful light. I know the Lord is smiling down on you and will walk beside you every step of the way as you recover and seek His will for what He has in store for you. My heart hurts that your Olympic dream ended this way.  But I know we serve a redeeming God and you will be immensely blessed!!

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Here's another article about diver David Boudia.  I just love when athletes give glory to the one who deserves ALL glory!  

No comments:

Post a Comment