Thursday, June 11, 2015

what's in a name

I've always felt God places great value in our names. He rarely told someone they would have a child without giving them the name He wanted that child to be called. And on several occasions, He even changed names to when a person changed. (Abraham, Jacob, Paul)

So when it came to naming our children, I knew it wasn't a decision to be taken lightly.

Yet Kenny and I have the hardest time agreeing on names!  While it is frustrating, I knew we'd both agree on whatever names God wanted our children to have.  It would only be a matter of time... waiting for His perfect time to reveal the name in His way.

For a while now, we've liked Remington Hawkins but I just didn't have a peace about it. I asked Lindsay if I was being ridiculous or if I should wait for God to reveal a name. She encouraged me to keep praying and that God would reveal a name that I would just "know" was it!

I was at James Avery on Saturday looking for a new charm for my mommy bracelet. There was nothing my heart was set on and I didn't want to buy one just to have one. I wanted it to have meaning. I thought about an elephant, mainly because I like them. But it had no significance for this baby so it didn't feel right. The saleslady asked if we had a name picked out. I told her no, but I knew what I wanted his name to mean.

Maverick means "independent and non-conforming," two character traits I see and love in Kenny.  Kenny has also reminded me of the tree in Psalms 1:3... deeply rooted and stable, unshaken by circumstances around him.
"He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers."
I had tried researching names that meant deeply rooted, stable, steady, unchanging... nothing came up. There were names that meant strength, bravery, or power. But those words just aren't the same. And I don't feel God gives us a name that almost means what He wants it to.  Every time we call our child, we're claiming that meaning over them. I wanted it to be an exact fit.

So I continued answering the saleslady saying his name would mean "deeply rooted and stable."  She replied with, "what about an anchor."

My heart skipped a beat and my spirit said that's it!

She pulled it out of the bag and I laid it on the bracelet... it fits perfectly and looks awesome! I bought the charm and wondered if we'd ever find a name that actually meant "stable."  On the way home, I wondered what Kenny would think of the name "anchor."  I figured he'd probably hate it.  But I just couldn't shake it. So I knew I'd have to present it to him at just the right time.

I prayed and asked God to give us a name, to put Kenny and I on the same page, and to show us what He wanted claimed over this child each and every time we call his name. This child belongs to Him and should be named by Him alone.

On Monday after work, I told him I had a name that I wanted him to think seriously about and asked if this was a good time. He responded no. Later that night I asked the same thing again and received the same response. Tuesday morning, I asked him again but answer stayed the same.  That night our schedule was off and we ended up putting the boys to bed and then sitting down to dinner... alone! Kenny fixed his bowl of taco soup and went to the dining room to eat, which meant he wanted to watch TV.  I felt like a lost puppy dog, made my bowl, and followed right behind.  To my surprise, once I sat down he paused the TV and started a conversation with me! It was glorious!! And the few times there was a lag in the conversation, I figured he'd unpause the TV and start watching, but he didn't.  I felt the Lord urge me to tell him the name.  Reluctantly, I asked my old, familiar question. This time, Kenny said "yes, I'm ready to hear it."  I told him the back story and then asked what he thought about naming him "Anchor."

He loved it! He loved the meaning. He loved how unique and strong it was. He loved it with the other name we had picked out.

I was blown away by his openness and response! And completely in awe by how my God orchestrated the whole thing! I'm known for being super impulsive. I know if I had randomly asked Kenny what he thought of "Anchor" as a name, he would have immediately dismissed it or made fun of it.

I'm so thankful we serve a God who cares about what we name our children, and who reveals to us His name. There's no guessing or hoping I get it right.

Can't wait to meet you Anchor Hawkins! We love you so much already.

No comments:

Post a Comment