Sunday, April 19, 2015

when Murphy's Law tries to win

Murphy's Law states that: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

The stomach bug hit our home this last week.  Mav had it first, but it was quite spread out. He threw up Sunday night and had a little diarrhea on Tuesday afternoon.  Then Kenny was up all night Tuesday doing both... and unfortunately it continued into Wednesday.  It finally struck Joshua and me on Thursday night, but not near as bad as what Kenny had. By Saturday morning we were all feeling back to normal and looking forward to a peaceful day at home.

On his way out for donuts (a Saturday ritual for us) Kenny noticed water bubbling from the ground in a puddle.

Murphy's Law: 1  Wrights: 0

Not good. Especially in HV where water is... not cheap.  So he turned the water off (unbeknownst to me) and went to get donuts.  Meanwhile, I was making eggs and preparing the stacks of laundry that needed to be done and making a mental list of chores to complete. I turned the kitchen sink on to start the dishes and of course, there was no water. Awesome.

Murphy's Law: 2  Wrights: 0

Kenny returned and immediately started digging holes around the front yard to try and find the problem.  Realizing I couldn't do laundry or dishes, I headed out to the grocery store (an errand I had been trying to run since Tuesday).  I returned home to this:



Murphy's Law 3:  Wrights: 0

Kenny could see where the water was coming out but couldn't find the pipe. The Merriman's, friends of ours that live down the street, came over to help and of course the boys saw it as a little piece of heaven. MUD!




Joshua found a snake! He loves them... I do not!

Murphy's Law: 3  Wrights: 1

Melissa kept me company on the porch as I watched my front yard being torn up hole by hole.  After hours of digging, Kenny decided to rent an excavator. A WHAT!?!?  Again, our water is turned off, the boys are caked in mud, and it's nap time. 

Murphy's Law: 4  Wrights: 1

Thankfully, Melissa let us bathe at her house... which turned into more playtime.  The only reason I left was to teach a make-up piano lesson (that was cancelled thanks to stomach bug). 

Murphy's Law: 4  Wrights: 2

I returned home a few hours later to this:




Murphy's Law: 5  Wrights: 2

Yes... the excavator dug across the ENTIRE front yard.  I sat on the swing in a daze. I didn't even know where to start. Water still off, it's now well past nap time, I couldn't let the boys play in the mud because we had no water, I had no idea where Kenny is and couldn't bother him with questions about dinner... so we sat.  I noticed Joshua, who had been enjoying the mud all day, was sitting next to me. Ears beet red and cheeks rosy.  Fever.

Murphy's Law: 6  Wrights: 2

Melissa texted a few minutes later saying she was bring pizza and the boys were at Lowe's getting parts to fix the leak.

Success at last!! THANK YOU JESUS!!

A day that could've been a disaster, created an attitude of discontentment and anger in me turned into a day of heaven for my boys and good fellowship for me, all while watching daddy fix the leak.  All I could think about was the numerous blessings Jesus bestowed on us:

1. This happened on a Saturday, we were all well, and had no plans.
2. The older boys had fun swimming, digging, and watching the excavator dig up our yard... how many kids get to see that?
3. Kenny knew how to fix the problem instead of paying for a plumber to dig around for hours not knowing where the problem was.
4. The Merriman's just happened to ride by and were able to play all day.
5. My soul was refreshed and encouraged from chatting with Melissa. She is so hang loose and easy going. I know I would've been a terrible wife with a terrible attitude had she not been there.
6. Despite not getting a nap, Mav had a blast crawling around, pushing his car, playing in the rain, and eating bugs (yes, I found a bug leg on his mouth!)
7. Doug was supposed to volunteer at church at 6, but was able to find a replacement so he could stay and help Kenny longer.
8. The forecasted rain held off (until 6:30 when Kenny and Doug were almost done). It was truly a gorgeous day!
9.  The water was turned back on by bedtime so I could bathe the boys and myself, finish the dishes, start the dishwasher and wash our sheets.
10. Though Joshua's fever reached 103, I had Tylenol on hand and he never threw up. We had a peaceful night's sleep.

The Lord completely destroyed any plans the enemy (aka Murphy's Law) had to ruin our day.  I'm reminded of Romans 8:28 which says, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good..."

Thank You Lord for watching over us and being present even in the little frustrations and happenings of our everyday lives.

So the final score - 

Murphy's Law: 0  Wrights: immeasurable joy

No comments:

Post a Comment