Monday, August 31, 2015

clean eating experiment: day 1

(Read about Kenny and Sarah Jane's clean eating experiment here.)


Breakfast:  FRUIT AND NUT BUTTER WAFFLE

Kenny had just finished working out and had a Shakeology.

I had a whole wheat waffle with peanut butter and strawberries. *I added maple syrup since I'm not counting calories.  I also had a glass of raw cow's milk instead of the skim/almond milk they suggest.

It was good, definitely not as satisfying as buttermilk waffles and pancake syrup with a glass of chocolate milk. =)



Snack 1:  MOZZARELLA AND TOMATO

I topped some arugula with tomato, mozzarella, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and had a side of crackers. The book suggested 5-10 crackers, I had 15.

This was also good. Changes I'll make next time:  buy better mozzarella (aka not the Great Value brand). Use spring lettuce or mix with arugula. The arugula by itself was just too strong.



Lunch: CITRUS GOAT CHEESE SALAD

Ingredients:  arugula (I also added in spring mix), chicken, mandarin orange (recipe called for grapefruit), goat cheese, walnuts, raspberry vinaigrette

I'm not usually a fan of salads... unless someone else makes them. For some reason, I just don't have the magic touch. Even if I put it in a pretty strawberry bowl.  This was good, but not the most amazing salad I've ever had, though it was probably healthier.


Unfortunately, it didn't sit well with me and it all came back up.  I haven't thrown up since my morning sickness stopped around 13 weeks. So I don't know if this was pregnancy related or what. But I was STARVING as soon as I finished and Whataburger popped into my head. I caved, loaded the kids up and had a burger and fries.

Because Kenny was out driving around, I packed his salad this morning before he left.  He said it was good, he didn't come home raving about it! But he ate it all, so that's a plus.



Snack 2:  FRUIT AND RICOTTA PITA

Surprisingly I was hungry around 3:30 and decided to make my snack.  I heated up a piece of whole wheat pita bread (the recipe called for a small 4" piece, but mine was definitely double that size).  Then I topped it with ricotta cheese, fresh peach slices and cinnamon.  The recipe called for slivered almonds but I couldn't find mine! ARGH!  I know they would've added a yummy crunch!

This was really good, I could definitely eat it often. It was almost like dessert... I felt guilty eating it.


Kenny had an apple.


THOUGHTS:
It probably wasn't the best idea to try this out in my 35th week of pregnancy. I'm starving and don't know if it's because I'me eating less, but still okay... or if I truly need to be eating more.  I don't want to starve Anchor!

The prep work wasn't bad at all. I haven't been in kitchen all day like I thought I would be.

The food wasn't that bad.  Different, yes. But I'm sure it just takes some getting used to.

I did enjoy buying fresh fruit/vegetables and I felt much better after eating. I didn't feel guilty or have to give myself the "you should start eating better" talk. That's always a plus. ;)

I guess today was 75% successful. Hoping tomorrow is 100%! Though it'll be difficult between Bible study and eating out with friends. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment